- 1496 Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
- 1521 Martin Luther excommunicated by Pope Leo X from the Roman Catholic Church
- 1777 General George Washington's revolutionary army defeats British forces at Battle of Princeton, NJ
- 1925 Benito Mussolini dissolves Italian parliament/becomes dictator
- 1977 Apple Computer, Inc incorporates
- 1985 Israel government confirms resettlement of 10,000 Ethiopian Jews
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inducts 1st female artist, Aretha Franklin
On January 3, 1987
The first known use of the word automobile, was seen in an editorial in The New York Times.
On January 3, 1899