What Happened on January 30
- 1661 Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England is ritually executed after having been dead for two years
- 1815 Burned US Library of Congress re-established with Thomas Jefferson's 6,500 volumes
- 1902 Britain and Japan sign a treaty after months of negotiating which commits each country to supporting an independent China and Korea, although it acknowledges Japan's 'special interest' in Korea
- 1933 President Paul von Hindenburg appoints Adolf Hitler as Reich Chancellor of Germany who forms a government with Franz von Papen
- 1939 Adolf Hitler threatens Jews during his speech to the German Reichstag (Parliament)
- 1948 Mahatma Gandhi assassinated by Hindu extremist Nathuram Godse
- 1965 State funeral for Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London; at the time, the world's largest ever state funeral
- 1972 Bloody Sunday: 27 unarmed civilians are shot (14 are killed) by the British Army during a civil rights march in Derry, Northern Ireland; this is the highest death toll from a single shooting incident during 'the Troubles'
- More Historical Events
Jan 30 in Film & TV
- 1931 "City Lights", American silent romantic comedy film directed by Charlie Chaplin, starring himself and Virginia Cherrill, premieres at Los Angeles Theater
Jan 30 in Music
- 1961 "I Fall to Pieces" single released by Patsy Cline (Billboard Song of the Year 1961)
Jan 30 in Sport
- 1994 Kapil Dev takes 2/41 as India beats Sri Lanka by an innings and 95 runs in 2nd Cricket Test in Bengaluru; equals Sir Richard Hadlee's world record of 431 Test wickets
Did You Know?
The Beatles perform their last live gig, a 42 minute concert on the roof of Apple Corps HQ in London, England
On January 30, 1969
Would You Believe?
8th (final) part of "Roots" is most-watched US entertainment show ever (100 million)
On January 30, 1977
- 1853 Emperor and French President Napoleon III marries Eugenie de Montijo, Countess of Teba
- 1929 Mitford sister Diana Mitford (18) marries Irish peer Bryan Walter Guinness (23) in the British society wedding of the year
- 1934 American comedian and actor Lou Costello (27) weds American burlesque dancer Anne Battler (21)
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Lovesick Prince in Suicide PactTwo lovers, a pact, then tragedy. But what really happened at Mayerling in 1889 remains a mystery despite 130 years of rumour, speculation – and three movies.
January 30, 1889
Funeral of Winston ChurchillChurchill's cortege in London during the funeral
January 30, 1965
Weekly Quiz for January 27 - February 2Who succeeded King Henry VIII to the English throne in 1547? Who wrote the novel Pride and Prejudice?