- 1661 Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England is ritually executed after having been dead for two years
- 1815 Burned US Library of Congress re-established with Thomas Jefferson's 6,500 volumes
- 1902 Britain and Japan sign a treaty after months of negotiating which commits each country to supporting an independent China and Korea, although it acknowledges Japan's 'special interest' in Korea
- 1933 President Paul von Hindenburg appoints Adolf Hitler as Reich Chancellor of Germany who forms a government with Franz von Papen
- 1939 Hitler threatens the Jews during his speech to the German Reichstag (Parliament)
- 1948 Mahatma Gandhi assassinated by Nathuram Godse
- 1965 State funeral of Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London. Then world's largest ever state funeral.
- 1972 'Bloody Sunday': 27 unarmed civilians are shot (of whom 14 were killed) by the British Army during a civil rights march in Derry; this is the highest death toll from a single shooting incident during 'the Troubles'
The Beatles perform their last live gig, a 42 minute concert on the roof of Apple Corps HQ in London
On January 30, 1969
8th (final) part of "Roots" is most-watched US entertainment show ever (100 million)
On January 30, 1977