- 1865 Congress passes, by vote of 121-24, the 13th Amendment of US Constitution, abolishing slavery in US 
- 1865 General Robert E. Lee named Commander-in-Chief of Confederate Armies during US Civil War
- 1943 Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrenders to Soviet troops at Stalingrad
- 1950 US President Harry Truman publicly announces support for the development of a hydrogen bomb
- 1985 South African President P. W. Botha offers to free Nelson Mandela if he denounces violence
- More Historical Events
Jan 31 in Film & TV
- 1949 1st daytime soap on TV "These Are My Children" (NBC in Chicago)
Jan 31 in Music
- 1679 Jean-Baptiste Lully's opera "Bellerophon" premieres at the Palais-Royal in Paris
Jan 31 in Sport
Did You Know?
Colonization of the America's in the late 1500s killed so many people it cooled the planet and led to a "Little Ice Age", according to a scientific report published in "Quaternary Science Reviews"
On January 31, 2019
Would You Believe?
The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital, London
On January 31, 1747
- 1560 Spanish King Philip II (10) marries Elisabeth of Valois (13), daughter of Henry II of France
- 1842 10th US President John Tyler's daughter Elizabeth marries in the White House
- 1960 American songwriter Adolph Green weds (for 3rd and final time) American actress and singer Phyllis Newman in NYC
- 1957 English-American actress Elizabeth Taylor's 2nd divorce from English actor Michael Wilding, after almost 5 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
DNA Sheds Shocking New Light on Crippen Murder CaseA jury took 27 minutes to convict Dr Hawley Crippen of murdering his wife and burying her remains in his cellar. But shocking new DNA evidence later emerged.
January 31, 1910
Nazi General Friedrich Paulus SurrendersGerman field marshal Friedrich Paulus, the highest-ranking German officer to surrender during World War II
January 31, 1943
Weekly Quiz for January 27 - February 2Who succeeded King Henry VIII to the English throne in 1547? Who wrote the novel Pride and Prejudice?