- 1605 The first edition of El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid.
- 1649 The English Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial for treason and other "high crimes"
- 1912 Alfred Wegener, geophysicist and meteorologist, presents his controversial theory of continental drift in a lecture at a the Geological Association (Geologischen Vereinigung) at the Senckenberg-Museum, Frankfurt.
- 1941 President Franklin Roosevelt's "4 Freedoms" speech (freedom of speech and worship; freedom from want and fear) during US State of Union address
- 1987 Astronomers at University of California see 1st sight of birth of a galaxy
Pan American Airlines becomes the first commercial airline to schedule a flight around the world ("Pacific Clipper").
On January 6, 1942
The Village People's Y.M.C.A becomes their only UK No.1 single. At it's peak it sold over 150,000 copies a day
On January 6, 1979
- 1759 US 1st President George Washington marries Martha Dandridge Custis at White House Plantation
- 1836 Author Harriet Beecher (24) weds educator Calvin Ellis Stowe (33) in Cincinnati, Ohio
- 1903 Theoretical Physicist Albert Einstein (23) weds Mileva Maric
- 1945 Future US President George H. W. Bush marries Barbara Pierce at the First Presbyterian Church in Rye NY
- 1945 US First Lady Barbara Bush (19) weds future 41st president George H. W. Bush (20) at the First Presbyterian Church in Rye, New York