- 1772 Captain James Cook begins his second voyage to the South Seas aboard the Resolution to search for Terra Australis (Southern continent)
- 1832 Source of Mississippi River discovered by American geographer Henry Schoolcraft
- 1966 A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada founds the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (Hare Krishna movement) in New York City
- More Historical Events
Jul 13 in Film & TV
- 1923 The Hollywood Sign is officially dedicated in the hills above Hollywood, Los Angeles. It originally reads "Hollywoodland" but the four last letters are dropped after renovation in 1949
Jul 13 in Music
- 1985 "Live Aid" concerts held at both Wembley Stadium (London, England) and JFK Stadium (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) raises over $70 million for African famine relief
Jul 13 in Sport
- 1930 1st-ever football World Cup competition begins in Uruguay
Did You Know?
Horace Greeley, founder and editor of the "New-York Tribune" reputedly advises his readers to "Go west young man"
On July 13, 1865
Would You Believe?
Dean of St. Paul's London, Alexander Nowell perfects a way to bottle beer
On July 13, 1568
- 1914 British poet and novelist D. H. Lawrence (28) weds Frieda Weekley (34) after obtaining Frieda's divorce from her 1st husband
- 1925 Film producer and co-founder of Walt Disney Productions Walt Disney (23) weds Lillian Bounds (26) at Lewiston's Episcopal Church of the Nativity in Lewiston, Idaho
- 1949 Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Jones (30) weds "Rebecca" film producer David O. Selznick (47) in Beverly Hills, California
- 2007 Environmental activist Laurie Lennard (49) divorces writer Larry David (60) due to irreconcilable differences after 14 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
HollywoodlandDedication of the"Hollywoodland" sign
July 13, 1923
Voice Of The Century – 'And Not Even Close'Frank Sinatra cut his first disc on this day. It was a flop. But he would go on to be hailed as the “Voice of the Century”.
July 13, 1939
Weekly Quiz for July 8-14Test your knowledge of historical events and famous people in our multi-choice, weekly history quiz for July 8-14. Then challenge your friends!