What Happened on July 19
- 1595 Astronomer Johannes Kepler has an epiphany and develops his theory of the geometrical basis of the universe while teaching in Graz
- 1843 The steamship SS Great Britain is launched, designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, is the first ocean-going craft with an iron hull or screw propeller and the largest vessel afloat in the world
- 1848 1st US women's rights convention held in Seneca Falls NY, organised by Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott
- 1941 British PM Winston Churchill launches his "V for Victory" campaign
- More Historical Events
Jul 19 in Film & TV
- 1941 Tom and Jerry first appear under their own names in cartoon "The Midnight Snack" by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera
Jul 19 in Music
- 1913 Billboard publishes earliest known "Last Week's 10 Best Sellers Among Popular Songs"; "Malinda's Wedding Day" by singers Byron Harlan and Arthur Collins is #1 (recorded in Camden, New Jersey)
Jul 19 in Sport
Did You Know?
Michael Brunet discovers the skull of Sahelanthropus tchadensis in the Djurab Desert, Chad. One of the oldest known species in the human family tree, 6-7 million years ago years old
On July 19, 2001
Would You Believe?
US scientists calculate total amount plastic ever produced - 8.3 billion tonnes, equal to weight of 1 billion elephants
On July 19, 2017
- 1770 Founding Father of the United States John Dickinson (37) weds land and estate owner Mary Norris (30) in a civil ceremony
- 1928 Physicist Enrico Fermi (26) weds writer Laura Capon in Rome, Italy
- 1932 "Rebecca" author Daphne Du Maurier (25) weds commander of the I Airborne Corps Lt. Gen. Frederick Browning (35)
- 1938 Actor Burgess Meredith (30) divorces actress Margaret Perry (25) after 2 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
SS Great BritainA painting of the launch of SS Great Britain, by Joseph Walter
July 19, 1843
American Women Demand Their RightsOn this day a group of determined women organised the first formal meeting in America to discuss women’s rights. It became known as the Seneca Falls Convention.
July 19, 1848
Whale of a Plane!The Airbus Beluga XL, built to transport large aircraft pieces
July 19, 2018
Weekly Quiz for July 15-21Test your knowledge of historical events and famous people in our multi-choice, weekly history quiz for July 15-21. Then challenge your friends!