- 626 Incident at Xuanwu Gate: in fear of assassination, Li Shimin ambushes and kills his rival brothers Li Yuanji and Li Jiancheng
- 1776 Continental Congress resolves "these United Colonies are and of right ought to be Free and Independent States"
- 1823 Bahia Independence Day: the end of Portuguese rule in Brazil, with the final defeat of the Portuguese crown loyalists in the province of Bahia
- 1964 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act into law
- 1990 1,426 pilgrims trampled to death after a panic in a tunnel in Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- More Historical Events
Jul 2 in Film & TV
- 1928 The Jenkins Television Corporation (owned by Charles Jenkins) goes on air with W3XK, the first television broadcasting station in the USA
Jul 2 in Music
- 2005 10 Live 8 concerts held around the world organised by Bob Geldof to raise awareness of poverty
Jul 2 in Sport
- 1989 American jockey Steve Cauthen wins Irish Derby on Old Vic to become the first rider in history to sweep the world's 4 major Derbies (Kentucky, Epsom, French, Irish)
Did You Know?
Slaves aboard a Spanish schooner La Amistad revolt to secure their freedom while being transported from one Cuban port to another
On July 2, 1839
Would You Believe?
French frigate "La Méduse" runs aground under incompetent leadership of Viscount of Chaumareys, 400 passengers evacuated. 150 men, 1 woman are left on "la Machine," a poorly provisioned raft. 13 days later only 15 survivors remain, inspires Théodore Géricault's painting "The Raft of the Medusa"
On July 2, 1816
- 1918 American jazz orchestra bandleader Duke Ellington (19) weds high school sweetheart Edna Thompson in Washington, D.C.
- 1932 Platinum blonde screen goddess Jean Harlow (21) weds MGM producer Paul Bern (42)
- 1939 Syndicated columnist Ann Landers (21) weds business executive Julius Lederer
- 1959 MLB baseball player Ernie Banks (28) divorces Mollye Louise after 6 years of marriage
- 2007 Dancer Mandie Taketa divorces talk show host Wayne Brady (34) due to irreconcilable differences after 8 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
The Day an Alligator Fell from the SkyNewspaper cutting fom the Times-Picayune on the day an alligator fell from the sky
July 2, 1843
Final Hours of Ernest HemingwayWhy did Ernest Hemingway, with everything to live for, kill himself on this day? The one thing he did not write is a suicide note but scientists have some answers.
July 2, 1961
Weekly Quiz for July 1-7Test your knowledge of historical events and famous people in our multi-choice, weekly history quiz for July 1-7. Then challenge your friends!