- 1586 Sir Walter Raleigh brings first tobacco to England from Virginia
- 1689 Battle of Killicrankie: Jacobite Scottish Highlanders under Viscount Dundee defeat royalist force under General MacKay
- 1789 US Congress establishes Department of Foreign Affairs now referred to as the State Department
- 1866 Atlantic telegraph cable successfully laid (1,686 miles long)
- 1921 Frederick Banting and Charles Best isolate insulin at the University of Toronto
- 1940 Bugs Bunny, Warner Bros. cartoon character created by Tex Avery, Bob Givens (Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies series), first debuts in "Wild Hare"
1st Christian missionary in Japan, Jesuit priest Francis Xavier reaches Japan but is not permitted to enter any port until 15 August
On July 27, 1549