- 1178 Frederick I (Barbarossa), Holy Roman Emperor, crowned King of Burgundy
- 1419 First defenestration of Prague: anti-Catholic Hussites, followers of executed reformer Jan Hus, storm Prague town hall and throw the judge, mayor and several city council members out the windows. They die in the fall or killed by crowd outside.
- 1619 House of Burgesses Virginia forms, 1st elective American governing body
- 1863 Indian Wars: Chief Pocatello of the Shoshone tribe signs the Treaty of Box Elder, promising to stop harassing the emigrant trails in southern Idaho and northern Utah.
- 1869 The Charles, considered the world’s first "oil tanker", departs from the United States headed for Europe with a bulk capacity of 7,000 barrels of oil
- 1935 1st Penguin book is published, starting the paperback revolution
500 Marseillaisian men sing France's national anthem for 1st time
On July 30, 1792