- 1858 Abraham Lincoln says "A house divided against itself cannot stand" accepting Illinois Republican Party's nomination for the Senate
- 1880 Salvation Army forms in London
- 1904 Bloomsday (date of events in James Joyce's Ulysses)
- 1935 US Congress accepts FDR's "New Deal"
- 2000 Israel complies with UN Security Council Resolution 425 after 22 years, which calls on Israel to completely withdraw from Lebanon. Israel withdraws from all of Lebanon, except the disputed Sheba Farms
- 1902 "The Wizard of Oz" musical first opens in Chicago, Illinois
1st roller coaster used (Coney Island NY)
On June 16, 1884
In Santa Barbara, CA, a team of 32 divers begin cycling underwater on a standard tricycle, to complete 116.66 mi in 75 hrs 20 mins
On June 16, 1988
- 1855 Salvation Army founder William Booth marries Catherine Mumford
- 1928 New York Governor Thomas E. Dewey (26) weds stage actress Frances Eileen Hutt
- 1943 Actor/comedian Charlie Chaplin (54) marries actress Oona O'Neill (18)
- 1956 British Poet and Poet Laureate Ted Hughes marries American writer and poet (The Bell Jar) Sylvia Plath at St George the Martyr Holborn, London.
- 1973 Talk show host Jerry Springer (29) weds Micki Velton