- 455 King Gaiseric and the Vandals sack Rome - Rome looted for 14 days
- 1862 Robert E. Lee takes command of Confederate armies of North Virginia during the American Civil War
- 1896 Italian engineer and inventor Guglielmo Marconi applies for the first ever patent for a system of wireless telegraphy in the United Kingdom
- 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in Westminster Abbey, London, England
- 1989 10,000 Chinese soldiers are blocked by 100,000 citizens in Tiananmen Square, Beijing, protecting students demonstrating for democracy
- More Historical Events
Jun 2 in Film & TV
- 2002 Crime drama "The Wire" created by David Simon and starring Idris Elba and Dominic West debuts on HBO
Jun 2 in Music
- 1962 Ray Charles' cover of Don Gibson's "I Can't Stop Loving You", from his influential crossover album "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music" hits #1 on Billboard
Jun 2 in Sport
Did You Know?
James Gibbs of Virginia, patents the chain-stitch single-thread sewing machine
On June 2, 1857
Would You Believe?
Pontiac's Rebellion: At what is now Mackinaw City, Michigan, Chippewas capture Fort Michilimackinac by diverting the garrison's attention with a game of lacrosse, then chasing a ball into the fort
On June 2, 1763
- 1129 Fulco V's son Godfried marries King Henry I's daughter Mathildis
- 1420 Henry V of England (33) marries Catherine of Valois (18), youngest daughter of King Charles VI of France at Troyes Cathedral
- 1886 U.S. President Grover Cleveland (49) weds Frances Folsom (21), 1st presidential marriage to be held at the White House
Articles, Photos and Quiz
The King is Dead; Long Live the QueenPrincess Elizabeth was in Africa when her father died and she became Queen. Her coronation, on this day in history, could be described as a magnificent washout.
June 2, 1953
Goddess of DemocracyHundreds of thousands of Chinese protest around a 10-meter replica of the Statue of Liberty they called the Goddess of Democracy
June 2, 1989
Weekly Quiz June 1 - 7Who was Kenya's 1st president? What does the TV channel CNN stand for? Who released the album Born in the USA? What epidemic officially began in 1981?