- 930 World's oldest parliament, the Icelandic Parliament, the Alþingi (anglicised as Althing or Althingi), established
- 1868 Christopher Latham Sholes patents the typewriter with a QWERTY keyboard
- 1960 1st contraceptive pill is made available for purchase in the U.S.
- 1972 Hurricane Agnes becomes America's costliest natural disaster, effecting 15 states, with 119 deaths and $3 billion in damage
- 1974 1st extraterrestrial message sent from Earth into space
- 2016 Brexit referendum: United Kingdom votes to leave the European Union
Longest game in Professional Baseball: Pawtucket Red Sox finally beat Rochester Red Wings 3-2 in 33 innings (game began 18th April)
On June 23, 1981