- 1497 John Cabot claims Eastern Canada for England (believes he has found Asia in Nova Scotia)
- 1509 Henry VIII is crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey
- 1793 1st republican constitution in France adopted
- 1812 Napoleon Bonaparte's forces invade Russia crossing the Neman River
- 1853 US President Franklin Pierce signs the Gadsden Purchase, buying 29,670 square-miles (76,800 square km) from Mexico for $10 million (now southern Arizona and New Mexico)
- 1901 1st exhibition by Pablo Picasso, 19, opens in Paris
- 1930 1st radar detection of planes, Anacostia, Washington, D.C.
In the longest match in tennis history, John Isner of the U.S. defeats Nicolas Mahut of France at Wimbledon after 11 hours, 5 minutes of play over three days
On June 24, 2010
Sudden outbreak of St. John's Dance causes people in the streets of Aachen, Germany, to experience hallucinations and begin to jump and twitch uncontrollably until they collapse from exhaustion
On June 24, 1374
- 1885 28th US President Woodrow Wilson (28) weds Presbyterian minister's daughter Ellen Louise Axson (25) in Savannah, Georgia
- 1904 Prime Minister of Canada Arthur Meighen (30) weds Jessie Isabel Cox
- 1914 MLB greatest pitcher Walter Johnson (26) weds Hazel Lee Roberts in Northwest, Washington, D.C.
- 1924 American writer Henry Miller (31) marries 2nd wife June Smerth (21) in Hoboken, New Jersey.
- 1933 Actor John Wayne (26) weds Josephine Saenz (25) in Los Angeles