- 452 Italy invaded by Attila the Hun
- 793 Vikings in long ships from modern-day Norway plunder St Cuthbert's monastery on Lindisfarne Island, off the northeast coast of England
- 1191 King Richard I of England arrives at Acre in modern day Israel to join the Siege of Acre during the Third Crusade
- 1783 Laki volcano in southern Iceland begins 8-month eruption, killing 10,000 and causing widespread famines throughout Asia and Europe
- 1789 James Madison introduces a proposed Bill of Rights in the US House of Representatives
- 1918 Nova Aquila, brightest nova since Kepler's nova of 1604, discovered
- 1987 New Zealand's Labour government legislates against nuclear weapons and nuclear powered vessels in NZ. Only nation to legislate against nuclear power.
Ives W. McGaffey of Chicago patents the 1st vacuum cleaner, calls it a "sweeping machine"
On June 8, 1869
Reds' Edd Roush falls asleep in center during long infield argument Heinie Groh goes to wake him, but umpire ejects Roush for delay of game
On June 8, 1920