- 68 Roman Emperor Nero commits suicide, imploring his secretary Epaphroditos to slit his throat to evade a Senate-imposed death by flogging
- 721 Odo of Aquitaine defeats the Moors in the Battle of Toulouse
- 1549 Book of Common Prayer is adopted by the Church of England
- 1815 End of the Congress of Vienna: New European political situation is set
- 1856 500 Mormons leave Iowa City, Iowa, and head west for Salt Lake City, Utah, carrying all their possessions in two-wheeled handcarts
- 1977 Silver jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain celebrated with fireworks
- 1997 British lease on the New Territories in Hong Kong expires
1st appearance of Donald Duck in a cartoon, "The Wise Little Hen"
On June 9, 1934
The Harvard Corporation, the more powerful of the two administrative boards of Harvard, is established. First legal corporation in the Americas.
On June 9, 1650