- 1590 Battle of Ivry: French King Henry IV beats Catholic League during French Wars of Religion
- 1794 Eli Whitney patents the cotton gin machine revolutionizing the cotton industry in the southern US states
- 1900 Dutch botanist Hugo de Vries rediscovers Gregor Mendel's laws of heredity and genetics
- 1900 US currency goes on gold standard after Congress passes the Currency Act
- 1943 World War II: Kraków Ghetto is "liquidated"
- 2013 Xi Jinping named the new President of the People's Republic of China
- More Historical Events
Mar 14 in Film & TV
- 1931 1st theater built for rear movie projection (NYC)
Mar 14 in Music
- 1885 W. S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan's comic opera "The Mikado" premieres in London at the Savoy Theatre
Mar 14 in Sport
- 2017 World's oldest golf club Muirfield in Scotland, votes to admit women as members for 1st time in 273 years
Did You Know?
FBI's "10 Most Wanted Fugitives" program begins
On March 14, 1950
Would You Believe?
South African Supreme Court declares that marriages not celebrated according to Christian rites and/or not registered by the Registrar of Marriages, are invalid; all Muslim and Hindu marriages are therefore declared invalid
On March 14, 1913
- 1850 French writer and playwright Honoré de Balzac marries Ewelina Hańska in Berdyczów, Ukraine
- 1906 Film director D. W. Griffith (31) weds Linda Arvidson (21) at Old North Church in Boston, Massachusetts
- 1943 American movie actress Lana Turner (22) and American actor and restaurateur Steve Crane remarry in Tijuana, Mexico; divorce in 1944
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Battle of IvryKing Henry IV of France at the Battle of Ivry
March 14, 1590
Boy Wonder Conquers TheatrelandParliament was adjourned on this day so that MPs could grab their seats for a performance by Master Betty – the theatrical wonder of the age.
March 14, 1805
Weekly Quiz for March 9 -15Who was murdered on the Ides of March in 44 BC? Which scientific theory is Albert Einstein most famous for? In what decade did the Barbie doll debut in NYC?