- 1123 1st Latern Council (9th ecumenical council) opens in Rome, agreements of the Concordat of Worms ratified
- 1314 Jacques de Molay, the 23rd and the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, is burned at the stake by King Philip IV of France
- 1325 According to legend, Tenochtitlan is founded on this date. The event is depicted on the Mexican coat of arms.
- 1900 Japan uses its influence over Korea to deny Russia's efforts to obtain a naval station at Korean Port of Masampo, the lead up to the Russo-Japanese war
- 1922 British magistrates in India sentence Mahatma Gandhi to 6 years imprisonment for disobedience
- 1940 Benito Mussolini and Italy join Hitler in Germany's war against France & Britain
- 1965 Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.
Largest art robbery in US history: 13 works of art worth over $500 million are stolen from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston
On March 18, 1990
Six farm labourers from Tolpuddle, Dorset, England are sentenced to be transported to Australia for forming a trade union
On March 18, 1834