What Happened on March 24
- 1603 Scottish King James VI son of Mary Queen of Scots, becomes King James I of England in succession to Elizabeth I, thus joining the English and Scottish crowns
- 1837 Canada gives its black citizens the right to vote
- 1882 German scientist Robert Koch discovers and describes the tubercle bacillus which causes tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis), and establishes germ theory
- 1976 Argentine President Isabel Martínez de Perón is deposed in a military coup headed by Jorge Rafael Videla
- 2020 China's Hubei province, the original center of the COVID-19 outbreak eases restrictions on travel after a nearly two-month lockdown
- 2020 Indian PM Narendra Modi orders a 21 day lockdown for world's second most populous country of 1.3 billion people to deal with COVID-19
- More Historical Events
Mar 24 in Film & TV
- 1939 "Wuthering Heights" film based on the Emily Brontë novel, directed by William Wyler and starring Merle Oberon and Laurence Olivier, premieres in Los Angeles
Mar 24 in Music
- 1721 Johann Sebastian Bach dedicates his Brandenburg Concertos to Christian Ludwig, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt
Mar 24 in Sport
- 2018 Australian batsman Cameron Bancroft is caught on camera rubbing match ball with an object during 3rd Cricket Test in Cape Town, resulting in an infamous ball tampering scandal
- 2020 Japan's Prime Minister Shinzō Abe announces postponement of Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games until summer of 2021 because of the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic
Did You Know?
Kosovo War: NATO commences air bombardment against Yugoslavia, marking the first time NATO has attacked a sovereign country.
On March 24, 1999
Would You Believe?
RAF rear gunner Nicholas Alkemade survives a jump from his Lancaster bomber 18,000 feet over Germany without a parachute; his fall broken by pine trees and soft snow, suffers only a sprained leg
On March 24, 1944
- 1891 56th UK Prime Minister Bonar Law (32) weds Annie Robley at West Free Church in Helensburgh, Scotland
- 1896 Writer "Heart of Darkness" Joseph Conrad (39) marries Englishwoman Jessie George (23)
- 1921 Comedian Oliver Hardy (29) marries actress Myrtle Reeves (24)
- 1994 Robert F. Kennedy Jr. divorces Emily Black
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Union of the CrownsRoyal badge of King James I & VI, a Tudor Rose joined to the Scottish Thistle, symbolizing the personal union of his realm
March 24, 1603
John Manningham Notes the Passing of Queen Elizabeth IJohn Manningham was an English lawyer and diarist who wrote this especially moving entry on the passing of Queen Elizabeth I.
March 24, 1603
Elvis Presley in the ArmyConscripted in 1958, Elvis Presley served two years in the U.S. Army
March 24, 1958
Weekly Quiz for March 23 - 29What infectious disease did Dr Jonas Salk announce a vaccine for in 1953? What was the original purpose of the Terracotta Army, discovered in China in 1974?