- 1549 The city of Salvador da Bahia, the first capital of Brazil, is founded
- 1901 Edmund Barton is elected Prime Minister in Australia's first parliamentary election
- 1912 Captain Robert Scott, storm-bound in a tent near South Pole, makes last entry in his diary "the end cannot be far"
- 1961 After a 4½ year trial Nelson Mandela is acquitted of treason in Pretoria
- 1974 Chinese farmers discover the Terracotta Army near Xi'an, 8,000 clay warrior statues buried to guard the tomb of China's 1st emperor, Qin Shi Huang
- 1999 The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes at 10006.78 - above the 10,000 mark for the first time ever
Beatle records officially go on sale in Russia
On March 29, 1986