- 161 Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius dies and is succeeded by co-Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, an unprecedented political arrangement in the Roman Empire
- 1530 King Henry VIII's divorce request is denied by the Pope. Henry then declares that he, not the Pope, is supreme head of England's church.
- 1876 Alexander Graham Bell receives a patent for the telephone in the US
- 1912 Roald Amundsen announces discovery of the South Pole
- 1936 Hitler breaks Treaty of Versailles, sends troops to Rhineland
1st jazz record released on a 78 by Original Dixieland Jass Band for the Victor Talking Machine Company ("Dixie Jazz Band One Step," one side "Livery Stable Blues" other)
On March 7, 1917
Cincinnati Mayor Mark Breith stands before city council and announces that, "women are not physically fit to operate automobiles"
On March 7, 1908