- 161 Roman Emperor Antoninus Pius dies and is succeeded by co-Emperors Marcus Aurelius and Lucius Verus, an unprecedented political arrangement in the Roman Empire
- 1530 English King Henry VIII's divorce request is denied by the Pope
- 1876 Alexander Graham Bell receives a patent for the telephone in the US
- 1912 Roald Amundsen announces his discovery of the South Pole (located 14 December 1911)
- 1936 Adolf Hitler breaks the Treaty of Versailles by sending troops into the Rhineland
- More Historical Events
Mar 7 in Film & TV
- 1975 "Mirror", Russian film directed by Andrei Tarkovsky, starring Margarita Terekhova and Ignat Daniltsev, is released
Mar 7 in Music
- 1917 1st jazz record released on a 78 by Original Dixieland Jass Band for the Victor Talking Machine Company ("Dixie Jazz Band One Step," one side "Livery Stable Blues" other)
Mar 7 in Sport
Did You Know?
Roman Emperor Constantine I decrees that the dies Solis Invicti (sun-day) is the day of rest in the Empire
On March 7, 321
Would You Believe?
Cincinnati Mayor Mark Breith stands before city council and announces that, "women are not physically fit to operate automobiles"
On March 7, 1908
- 1940 Comedian Oliver Hardy (48) marries film assistant Virginia Lucille Jones (30)
- 2007 Former vocalist of "Babado Novo" Claudia Leitte (26) weds Marcio Pedreira at Hotel Convento do Carmo in Salvador, Brazil
- 1986 Actor Johhny Depp and Lori Depp divorce after 2 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Telephone Invention Dispute? That Rings a BellThere was fierce competition among 19th Century inventors to come up with a working telephone. Alexander Graham Bell won and was granted a patent on this day.
March 7, 1876
Alexander Graham Bell Patents the TelephoneThe original drawing filed with Thomas Edison's patent application for the telephone
March 7, 1876
Bikini Atoll is EvacuatedResidents of Bikini Atoll are evacuated to make way for nuclear testing
March 7, 1946
Weekly Quiz for March 2 - 8Which musical film starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer was released this week in 1965? Which country was the Spanish Flu 1st recorded in 1918?