What Happened on May 4
- 1471 Battle of Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, final battle between the Houses of Lancaster and York: Prince of Wales, Edward of Westminster killed and King Edward IV returns to his throne, restoring political stability to England until his death in 1483
- 1814 King Ferdinand VII of Spain signs the Decree of the 4th of May, returning Spain to absolutism
- 1904 Construction begins by the United States on the Panama Canal
- 1979 Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman to be elected Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- More Historical Events
May 4 in Film & TV
- 2008 Seth MacFarlane reaches an agreement worth $100 million with Fox to keep "Family Guy" and "American Dad" on television until 2012, making MacFarlane the world's highest paid television writer
May 4 in Music
- 1959 First Grammy Awards: Perry Como & Ella Fitzgerald win
May 4 in Sport
- 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings play their 1st official baseball game, a win against the Great Western Base Ball Club, 45-9
Did You Know?
"The Don't Make A Wave Committee," a fledgling environmental organization founded in Canada in 1971, officially changes its name to the "Greenpeace Foundation"
On May 4, 1972
Would You Believe?
Cowboy Bill Pickett invents bulldogging, the skill of grabbing cattle by the horns and wrestling them to the ground
On May 4, 1893
- 1941 Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley (23) weds Ethel Arnold
- 1944 Baseball player Ted Williams marries Doris Soule (divorced 1954)
- 1962 Actor Christopher Plummer (32) weds columnist Patricia Lewis at the Marylebone Registry office in London
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Battle of TewkesburyKing Edward IV and his Yorkist troops are beseeched by a priest to stop the pursuit of their Lancastrian foes who requested sanctuary from the abbey
May 4, 1471
‘At 60mph The Loudest Noise In A Rolls-Royce Is The Electric Clock’One was from an impoverished background; the other was a member of the aristocracy. They came together to form Rolls-Royce, the iconic car manufacturer.
May 4, 1904
Weekly Quiz for May 4 -10Who was Mongol ruler Kublai Khan to Genghis Khan? What was the UK code-breaking center during World War II? Which country 1st legalized a birth control pill?