- 1660 English Parliament proclaims Charles II, King of England and invites him to return
- 1835 1st installment of Hans Christian Andersen "Fairy Tales" published by C. A. Reitzel in Copenhagen, Denmark
- 1895 China cedes Taiwan to Japan under Treaty of Shimonoseki
- 1902 Mount Pelée on the French overseas island of Martinique erupts, wiping out the city of Saint-Pierre, killing 30,000 and leaving only two survivors
- 1945 V-E Day: World War II ends in Europe after Germany signs an unconditional surrender
- 1980 World Health Organization announces smallpox has been eradicated
- 2007 A new Northern Ireland Executive is formed with Ian Paisley (Democratic Unionist Party) as First Minister and Martin McGuinness (Sinn Féin) as Deputy First Minister
- More Historical Events
May 8 in Film & TV
- 1958 Classic Hammer horror film "Dracula" film starring Christopher Lee as the eponymous vampire alongside Peter Cushing, directed by Terence Fisher released
May 8 in Music
May 8 in Sport
- 1984 The Soviet Union announces it will not participate in Los Angeles Summer Olympics in retaliation for the American boycott of the 1980 Moscow Olympics
Did You Know?
Jacob's Pharmacy in Atlanta sells the first Coca-Cola (contained cocaine)
On May 8, 1886
Would You Believe?
16 year old Keron Thomas disguises himself as a motorman & takes NYC subway train and 2,000 passengers on a 3 hour ride
On May 8, 1993
- 1783 American seamstress Betsy Ross (31) weds (for the 3rd time) John Claypoole at Christ Church
- 1910 Film producer Samuel Goldwyn (27) weds first wife Blanche Lasky
- 1959 Aspiring American actress Raquel Tejada (18) weds high school sweetheart James Welch; divorce in 1964 - she keeps his name (Raquel Welch)
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Suicide Woman Floats To SafetyNobody could expect to survive a fall from the 100-metre high Clifton Suspension Bridge. But one woman was saved on this day by her billowing skirt.
May 8, 1885
Nazi Germany SurrendersGerman commander Wilhelm Keitel signs the final unconditional surrender of Germany in the ruins of Berlin
May 8, 1945
Weekly Quiz for May 6-12Test your knowledge of historical events in our multi-choice weekly history quiz for May 6-12. Number 8 will leave you truly stumped then amazed!
Weekly Quiz for May 4 -10Who was Mongol ruler Kublai Khan to Genghis Khan? What was the UK code-breaking center during World War II? Which country 1st legalized a birth control pill?