- 1620 Mayflower Compact signed by Pilgrims at Cape Cod, the 1st framework of government in the territory that is now the USA [N.S. Nov 21]
- 1675 German mathematician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz demonstrates integral calculus for the first time to find the area under the graph of y = f(x) function
- 1745 Bonnie Prince Charlie's army enters England
- 1918 WWI armistice signed by the Allies and Germany comes into effect and World War I hostilities end at 11am, "the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month"
- 1975 Australian Prime Minister Gough Whitlam removed from office by Governor General Sir John Kerr - 1st elected PM removed in 200 yrs
- 1992 The Church of England approves the ordination of female priests
- 2004 Yasser Arafat's death through unidentified causes confirmed by Palestine Liberation Organization, Mahmoud Abbas elected PLO chairman minutes later.
- More Historical Events
Nov 11 in Film & TV
- 1985 1st AIDS themed TV movie - "An Early Frost" screens in US on NBC
Nov 11 in Music
- 1925 Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five begin their first recording session
Nov 11 in Sport
- 1946 New York Knicks play their first Basketball Association of American (BAA) home game at Madison Square Garden; lose, 78-68 to Chicago Stags in overtime
Did You Know?
Australian Bushranger and outlaw Ned Kelly is hanged at Melbourne Gaol
On November 11, 1880
Would You Believe?
Washington Irving's Salmagundi periodical published - first to associate the name "Gotham" with New York City
On November 11, 1807
- 1100 English King Henry I marries Princess Matilda of Scotland at Westminster Abbey in London
- 1710 Anna Ivanovna (future Empress of Russia) (17) marries Frederick William, Duke of Courland (18). Frederick dies two months later.
- 1838 Emma Wedgwood accepts English naturalist Charles Darwin's marriage proposal
Articles, Photos and Quiz
The War's Over, But Don't Get Too ExcitedIt was 'the war to end all wars' that came to a weary climax on this day. But this was no time to lose your inhibitions, at least not for one famous Englishman.
November 11, 1918
End of World War IFamous painting of the signing of the armistice in Compiegne, France
November 11, 1918
Weekly Quiz for November 11 - 17The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month marked the end of which war? Whose body was found in Antarctica in 1912? Which canal opened in 1869?