- 1492 Christopher Columbus 1st learns about growing and harvesting maize (corn) from Cuba's indigenous population
- 1556 Battle at Panipat: Mogollegers beat hindu leader Hemu
- 1605 Gunpowder Plot: Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes attempts to blow up King James I and the British Parliament. Plot discovered, Guy Fawkes caught, tortured and later executed along with seven others. Celebrated ever since as Guy Fawkes Day, where his effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, accompanied by fireworks.
- 1937 Adolf Hitler informs his military leaders in a secret meeting of his intentions of going to war
- 1956 Britain and France land airborne forces at Port Said in Egypt, escalating the Suez Crisis
- 1979 Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini declares US "The Great Satan"
- 1992 "Revenge Match of the 20th century" Bobby Fisher defeats Boris Spassky to with Chess title in Belgrade
Parker Brothers launches game of Monopoly
On November 5, 1935
Louisa Woosley first women to be ordained as a minister in any Presbyterian denomination (US Cumberland Presbyterian Church).
On November 5, 1889
- 1940 American author and journalist "The Old Man and the Sea" Ernest Hemingway marries journalist Martha Gellhorn
- 1941 Writer and veterinary surgeon James Herriot (25) weds Joan Catherine Danbury
- 1977 43rd US President George W. Bush (31) weds Laura Welch (31) at The First United Methodist Church in Midland, Texas
- 2005 2004 Indianapolis 500 racecar driver winner Buddy Rice (29) weds Michelle Noonan in Arizona