- 1492 Ensisheim Meteorite strikes a wheat field near the village of Ensisheim in Alsace, France. Oldest meteorite with a known date of impact.
- 1872 Cargo ship Mary Celeste sails from Staten Island for Genoa; mysteriously found abandoned four weeks later
- 1917 [OS Oct 25] October Revolution in Russia; Lenin and the Bolsheviks seize power, capture the Winter Palace and overthrow the Provisional Government.
- 1931 Chinese People's Republic proclaimed by Mao Zedong
- 2000 Controversial US presidential election between George W. Bush and Al Gore is inconclusive; the result, in Bush's favor, is eventually resolved by the Supreme Court
The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration discovers one of the country's largest LSD labs inside a converted military missile silo in Wamego, Kansas
On November 7, 2000
- 1597 Emilia of Nassau weds Dom Emanuel of Portugal
- 1913 Comedian Oliver Hardy (21) marries pianist Madelyn Saloshin in Macon, Georgia
- 1951 Entertainer Frank Sinatra (34) marries 2nd wife film star Ava Gardner (26)
- 1957 Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin (23) weds Valentina Ivanovna Goryacheva
- 1984 FIFA soccer player Diego Maradona (24) weds long-time fiancée Claudia Villafañe in Buenos Aires