What Happened on October 1
- 331 BC Alexander the Great defeats Darius III of Persia in the Battle of Gaugamela
- 1688 Prince William of Orange accepts invitation of take up the British crown
- 1814 Opening of the Congress of Vienna, redraws Europe's political map after the defeat of Napoléon Bonaparte
- 1867 Karl Marx publishes "Das Kapital" in Berlin, a description of the capitalist system, its instability and tendency to self-destruction
- 1908 Henry Ford introduces the Model T car (costs $825)
- 1918 World War I: Combined Arab and British force under the Lawrence of Arabia, T. E. Lawrence captures Damascus from the Turks
- 1988 Mikhail Gorbachev becomes Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet, effectively head of state of the Soviet Union
- More Historical Events
Oct 1 in Film & TV
- 1968 Cult zombie film "Night of the Living Dead" directed by George A. Romero, starring Duane Jones and Judith O'Dea premieres in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Oct 1 in Music
- 1982 Marvin Gaye releases his last studio album "Midnight Love" featuring single "Sexual Healing"
Oct 1 in Sport
- 1975 "The Thrilla in Manila"; Muhammad Ali stops Joe Frazier in 14 rounds in Quezon City, the Philippines to retain his WBC/WBA heavyweight title
Did You Know?
National Geographic magazine publishes for the 1st time
On October 1, 1888
Would You Believe?
Winston Churchill calls Russia a "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"
On October 1, 1939
- 1791 Prince Willem Frederick (later King of Netherlands) marries his cousin princess Frederica Louise Wilhelmine of Prussia
- 1884 American politician William Jennings Bryan (24) weds writer and future suffragette Mary Elizabeth Baird (23)
- 1913 Writer and poet Vita Sackville-West (21) marries diplomat Harold Nicolson (26)
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Ford Puts Millions in the Driving SeatHenry Ford's Model T rolled off the assembly line on this day in automotive history, bringing affordable motoring to millions.
October 1, 1908
Weekly Quiz for September 30 - October 6What major US structure was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1935? Who called Russia a 'riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma' in 1939?