- 331 BC Alexander the Great defeats Darius III of Persia in the Battle of Gaugamela
- 1688 Prince Willem III of Orange accepts invitation of take up the British crown
- 1814 Opening of the Congress of Vienna, which redrew Europe's political map after the defeat of Napoléon Bonaparte
- 1867 Karl Marx' "Das Kapital" published
- 1908 Henry Ford introduces the Model T car (costs $825)
- 1975 Muhammad Ali TKOs Joe Frazier in 15 for heavyweight boxing title in "The Thrilla in Manila"
- 1988 Mikhail Gorbachev becomes Chairman of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet, effectively head of state of the Soviet Union
National Geographic magazine publishes for the 1st time
On October 1, 1888
Winston Churchill calls Russia a "riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma"
On October 1, 1939