- 1960 Japanese politician Inejiro Asanuma is assassinated with a sword during a televised debate live on TV by 17-year old nationalist Otoya Yamaguchi
- 1968 IXX Summer Olympic Games open at Mexico City, Mexico; first Olympics in Latin America
Children's rhyme "Three Blind Mice" published in London
On October 12, 1609
- 1810 First Oktoberfest: The Bavarian royalty invites the citizens of Munich to join the celebration of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen.
- 1822 "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" author Victor Hugo (20) weds Adele Fourcher
- 1893 Education pioneer Booker T. Washington (37) weds Margaret James Murray