- 1066 Battle of Hastings: William, Duke of Normandy and his Norman army defeat the English forces of Harold II who is killed in the battle
- 1322 Robert the Bruce of Scotland defeats King Edward II of England at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland's independence
- 1774 1st Continental Congress makes Declaration of Colonial Rights in Philadelphia
- 1867 15th and last Tokugawa Shogun, Tokugawa Yoshinobu resigns in Japan
- 1884 George Eastman patents paper-strip photographic film
- 1933 Nazi Germany announces its withdrawal from the League of Nations
- 1982 US President Reagan proclaims a war on drugs
- More Historical Events
Oct 14 in Film & TV
- 1930 George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin's musical "Girl Crazy" starring Ginger Rogers and featuring debut of Ethel Merman, opens at the Alvin Theater, NYC; runs for 272 performances
- 2007 "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" featuring Kim, Khloé, and Kourtney Kardashian premieres on the E! cable network in the US
Oct 14 in Sport
- 1991 NY Rangers right wing Mike Gartner becomes 1st NHL player to score his 500th goal, 500th assist, and 1000th point all in the same season
Did You Know?
Arthur Conan Doyle publishes "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" collection of 12 stories originally published serially in "The Strand Magazine"
On October 14, 1892
Would You Believe?
1st Gay and Lesbian Civil Rights March on Washington, D.C. by over 100,000 people
On October 14, 1979
- 1806 German writer, artist and politician Johann Wolfgang von Goethe marries mistress Christiane Vulpius in Weimar
- 1913 Athlete Jim Thorpe (25) weds Margaret Iva Miller at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- 1923 German "All Quiet on the Western Front" author Erich Maria Remarque (25) weds German actress Ilse Jutta Zambona; divorce in 1930, remarry in 1938, re-divorce in 1957
- 1988 Mike Tyson countersues Robin Givens for divorce & annulment
- 1990 American actors Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis file for divorce after nearly 2 years of marriage
- 2015 Ricki Lake and Christian Evans divorce after 3 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Grim History of London's Speakers' CornerNowhere in England is the principal of free speech embodied more than at Speakers’ Corner in London’s Hyde Park. But this right was won through death and protest.
October 14, 1855
Weekly Quiz for October 14 - 20What island was Napoleon Bonaparte sent to in 1815? How much did America pay Russia to buy Alaska?