- 1633 Battle of Liaoluo Bay: Dutch East India Company defeated by Chinese Ming naval forces in southern Fujian sea
- 1721 Tsar Peter the Great becomes "All-Russian Imperator"
- 1879 Thomas Edison perfects carbonized cotton filament light bulb
- 1884 International Meridian Conference in Washington, D.C. adopts Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) worldwide, creating 24 international time zones with longitude zero at the Greenwich meridian
- 1907 Panic of 1907: A run on Knickerbocker Trust Company stock leads to US wide run on banks
- 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis: US President John F. Kennedy addresses TV about Russian missile bases in Cuba and imposes a naval blockade on Cuba, beginning the missile crisis
- More Historical Events
Oct 22 in Film & TV
- 1942 "Now, Voyager" film directed by Irving Rapper, and starring Bette Davis, Paul Henreid and Claude Rains, premieres in New York; wins 3 Academy Awards
Oct 22 in Music
- 1883 New York's original Metropolitan Opera House has its grand opening with a performance of Charles Gounod's opera "Faust"
Oct 22 in Sport
- 1978 New York City Marathon: Grete Waitz of Norway wins in her race debut in world record 2:32:30; Bill Rodgers wins his third straight title in 2:12:12
Did You Know?
World's first car dealer opens in London
On October 22, 1897
Would You Believe?
In Paris an express train overruns a buffer stop, crosses more than 30 meters of concourse before plummeting through a window at Gare Montparnasse
On October 22, 1895
- 1945 Argentine military officer and politician Juan Perón (50) weds actress Eva Duarte (26) at a civil ceremony in Junin
- 1948 Farm labor leader Cesar Chavez (21) weds labor activist Helen Fabela (20) in Reno, Nevada
- 1967 Actor Morgan Freeman (30) weds Jeanette Adair Bradshaw
- 2007 Black Crowes frontman Chris Robinson (40) divorces actress Kate Hudson (28) due to irreconcilable differences after nearly six years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Jumping Jacques Makes First Parachute DescentDaredevil André-Jacques Garnerin took to the sky in a hydrogen balloon on this day and after cutting himself adrift performed the first ‘parachute’ descent.
October 22, 1797
Weekly Quiz for October 21 - 27In which battle in 1805 was British Admiral Horatio Nelson killed in action? Who was the 1st European to sail into and then across the Pacific Ocean, in 1520?