- 1415 Battle of Agincourt: Henry V's forces defeat larger French army and the longbow defeats the armoured knight
- 1854 The infamous Charge of Light Brigade during the Battle of Balaclava in the Crimean War; over 100 killed
- 1946 1st trial against nazi war criminals in Nuremberg
- 1962 US Ambassador to the UN Adlai Stevenson demands USSR UN rep Zorin answer regarding Cuban missile bases saying "I am prepared to wait for my answer until hell freezes over"
- 1971 United Nations votes to expel the Chinese Nationalist ruled Taiwan and admit the Communist People's Republic of China
- 2017 Chinese Premier Xi Jinping unveils his new ruling council in the Great Hall of the People, none of the five are young enough to succeed him
- 1964 Dutchman Anton Geesink is 1st non-Japanese Olympic judo gold medal winner
Dutch East India Company ship "The Eendracht" discovers Dirk-Hartog Island, Australia
On October 25, 1616
The Archbishop of Dubuque, Francis J. L. Beckman, denounces Swing music as "a degenerated musical system... turned loose to gnaw away at the moral fiber of young people", warning that it leads down a "primrose path to hell".
On October 25, 1938