- 1492 Christopher Columbus sights Cuba and claims it for Spain under the name "Juana"
- 1538 The first university in the New World, the Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, is established on Hispaniola
- 1746 Peruvian cities of Lima and Callao demolished by earthquake, 18,000 die
- 1904 St Louis police try a new investigation method - fingerprints
- 1919 Volstead Act passed by US Congress, establishing prohibition, despite President Woodrow Wilson's veto
- 1924 Miner M.de Bruin discovers the infant fossil skull, "Taung child" in a lime quarry in Taung, South Africa. Paleoanthropologist Raymond Dart identifies the fossil as a new hominin species, Australopithecus africanus.
- 1961 "Fiorello!" closes at Broadhurst Theater NYC starring Tom Bosley after 796 performances and a Pulitzer Prize
- 1900 After over 5 months second Olympic games in Paris, France, close
Research indicating Plague dates back to the Bronze age in skeletons 5,783 years old, published by University of Copenhagen team in "Cell"
On October 28, 2015
- 1533 Prince Henry of France (later Henry II) (14) marries Florentine noblewoman Catherine de' Medici (14)
- 1863 Painter Edouard Manet (31) weds Suzanne Leenhoff (34)
- 1869 Sarawak's head of state Charles Brooke (40) weds Margaret Alice Lili de Windt (20) at Highworth, Wiltshire
- 1981 Film director David Lean (73) weds fifth wife Sandra Hotz
- 2004 Economist Joseph Stiglitz (61) weds professor Anya Schiffrin (41) at the Municipal Building in New York