- 539 BC King Cyrus "the Great" of Persia marches into Babylon, freeing Jewish captives and allowing them to return home
- 1268 Conradin, the last legitimate male heir of the German Hohenstaufen dynasty of Kings and Holy Roman Emperors, is executed with Frederick I, Margrave of Baden by Charles I of Sicily
- 1665 Battle of Mbwila [Ambuila],: Portuguese forces defeat forces of the Kingdom of Kongo and decapitate King Antonio I of Kongo / Nvita a Nkanga
- 1929 "Black Tuesday" Wall Street Stock Market crashes triggering the "Great Depression"
- 2015 China announces the end of their one-child policy after 35 years
- 1956 NBC anchors Chet Huntley and David Brinkley first team up in "The Huntley–Brinkley Report"
En route Adana to Ankara, Turkish Airlines flight with crew of 6 and 33 passengers hijacked by Kurdish militant, orders pilot fly to Switzerland. Pilot lands in Ankara tricking hijacker he was landing in Sofia to refuel.
On October 29, 1998
- 437 Valentinian III, Western Roman Emperor, marries Licinia Eudoxia, daughter of his cousin Theodosius II, Eastern Roman Emperor in Constantinople. This unifies the two branches of the House of Theodosius
- 1994 Impressionist Rich Little (55) weds comedian Jeannette Markey (28) at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas
- 2004 "Jackass" member Chris Pontius (30) weds Claire Nolan in Malibu
- 2011 Actress Eva Amurri (26) weds former Major League Soccer player Kyle Martino (31) in Charleston, South Carolina
- 1951 Singer/actor Frank Sinatra and 1st wife Nancy (Barbato) divorce due to infidelity after 12 years of marriage
- 2010 Country singer Randy Travis (51) divorces manager Lib Hatcher due to state of incompatibility exists between the two parties after 19 long years of marriage. One of country music's longest-lasting couples