- 2333 BC State of Gojoseon (Modern-day Korea) founded by Dangun Wanggeom during the reign of the Chinese Emperor Yao
- 52 BC Vercingetorix, leader of the Gauls, surrenders to the Romans under Julius Caesar, ending the siege and battle of Alesia
- 1283 Dafydd ap Gruffydd, Prince of Gwynedd, Wales, becomes the first person executed by being hanged, drawn and quartered
- 1922 1st facsimile photo sent over city telephone lines, Washington, D.C.
- 1935 Italy invades Ethiopia, starting the Second Italo-Ethiopian War
- 1990 Reunification of East and West Germany. West German flag is raised above the Brandenburg Gate on the stroke of midnight.
Pravda newspaper founded by Leon Trotsky, Adolph Joffe, Matvey Skobelev and other Russian exiles in Vienna
On October 3, 1908
Adolf Hitler says Russia is "already broken and will never rise again" in a broadcast to the German people
On October 3, 1941