- 1947 Harry Truman makes the 1st Presidential address televised from the White House
- 1962 "Dr. No", 1st James Bond film based on the novel by Ian Fleming and starring Sean Connery and Ursula Andress, premieres in London
- 2017 "The New York Times" publishes investigation into sexual harassment behaviour by Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein
- 1962 The Beatles release their first record, "Love Me Do"
- 1922 NY Yankees and Giants play out a controversial 3-3 tie in 10 innings in Game 2 of Baseball World Series at Polo Grounds, Manhattan, NY; Giants win series, 4-0-1
A strong hurricane known as the Saxby Gale devastates the Bay of Fundy region in Maritime Canada. Incredibly British naval officer Stephen Martin Saxby predicted the storm 10 months earlier in December 1868 via astronomy.
On October 5, 1869