- 1571 Battle of Lepanto: Holy League of southern European nations destroy Ottoman fleet in significant loss off Western Greece
- 1737 A cyclone causes 40 foot waves that are believed to have killed 300,000 in Calcutta, India
- 1763 George III of Great Britain issues Proclamation of 1763, closing lands in North America north and west of Alleghenies to white settlement
- 1919 KLM, Royal Dutch Airlines, established (oldest existing airline)
- 2001 The U.S. invasion of Afghanistan starts with an air assault and covert operations on the ground
- 1982 Musical "Cats" opens at Winter Garden Theater on Broadway NYC and runs for nearly 18 years before closing on September 10, 2000.
- 2000 Last ever competitive soccer match at Wembley Stadium, England defeated 1-0 by Germany, last goal scored by Liverpool's Dietmar Hammann. Match is Tony Adams' 60th at Wembley, the record for most appearances at the stadium.
Far side of Moon seen for the 1st time, courtesy of USSR's Luna 3 space probe
On October 7, 1959
- 1776 Crown Prince Paul of Russia marries Sophie Marie Dorothea of Württemberg.
- 1914 44th US Ambassador to the United Kingdom Joseph P. Kennedy, Sr. (26) weds John F. Fitzgerald's daughter, Rose Fitzgerald (24)
- 1965 Actress and comedian Phyllis Diller (48) weds actor Warde Donovan
- 1978 Country singer Merle Haggard (41) weds his backup singer Leona Williams (35)
- 1989 Radio talk show host Larry King weds Julie Alexander