- 1776 George Washington asks for a spy volunteer, Nathan Hale volunteers
- 1846 Elias Howe takes out a US patent for a lockstitch sewing machine
- 1924 Leopold and Loeb found guilty of the murder of Robert Franks in Chicago in the "the crime of the century"
- 1977 Hamida Djandoubi, convicted of torture and murder, is the last person to be executed by Guillotine in France
- 2008 The Large Hadron Collider at CERN, described as the biggest scientific experiment in the history of mankind is powered up in Geneva, Switzerland
- 1993 "The X-Files", created by Chris Carter and starring David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson debuts on Fox
- 1972 American long distance runner Frank Shorter scores a famous win in the men's marathon in 2:12:19.8 at the Munich Olympics
London taxi driver George Smith is the first to be fined for drunk driving
On September 10, 1894
Mike the Headless Chicken is decapitated in Fruita, Colorado; he survives for another 18 months before choking to death.
On September 10, 1945
- 1957 Prime Minister of Canada Jean Chretien (23) weds Aline Chaine (21) in Canada
- 1961 Nigerian novelist, critic and academic Chinua Achebe ("Things Fall Apart") marries Christie Okoli
- 1961 Baseball player Ted Williams marries model Lee Howard (divorced 1967)
- 1966 Actor John Lithgow (20) weds Jean Taynton
- 1993 Actress Loretta Young (80) weds costume designer Jean Louis (85)