- 1356 English forces under Edward the Black Prince defeat French at the Battle of Poitiers and capture the French King John II during the Hundred Years' War
- 1870 Siege of Paris by Prussian Forces begins (lasts until January 28 1871)
- 1893 New Zealand becomes the first country to grant all women the right to vote
- 1985 8.1 earthquake in Mexico City kills an estimated 10,000 and leaves 250,000 homeless
- 1986 US Federal health officials announce AZT will be available to AIDS patients
- More Historical Events
Sep 19 in Film & TV
- 1970 "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" premieres on CBS
Sep 19 in Music
- 1960 Chubby Checker's "The Twist" hits #1 on the Billboard Hot 100
Sep 19 in Sport
- 2017 New MLB record for most home runs in a season, no. 5,694 hit by Alex Gordon of the Kansas City Royals
Did You Know?
One of first known modern beauty contests held in Spa, Belgium
On September 19, 1888
Would You Believe?
Ötzi the Iceman, 3,300 BCE old mummy discovered by German tourists in Italian alps
On September 19, 1991
- 1945 Actress Shirley Temple (17) weds actor John Agar (24) in an Episcopal ceremony at Wilshire Methodist Church
- 1959 Academy award-winning actor Rod Steiger (34) weds stage and film actress Claire Bloom (28) in Los Angeles, California
- 1964 Author Peter Benchley (24) weds Winifred B. Wesson
- 1972 Actor Phil Hartman (23) divorces Gretchen Lewis after 2 years of marriage
- 2016 Actress Angelina Jolie (41) files for divorce from fellow actor Brad Pitt (52) citing irreconcilable differences
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
The First Country to Grant Women the VoteIn the late 19th century the women's suffrage movement was widespread in Europe, America, Britain and its colonies. But who was first to grant women the vote?
September 19, 1893
The Twist Dance CrazeYoung people in Berlin taking part in the Twist dance craze, 1964
September 19, 1960
Weekly Quiz for September 16-22Which famous American automobile manufacturer was founded by William C. Durant in 1908? In 1893, which country was the 1st in the world to grant women the vote?