- 31 BC Battle of Actium: decisive naval battle that effectively ends the Roman Republic. Octavian's forces defeat those under Mark Antony and Cleopatra off the western coast of Greece.
- 1192 Sultan Saladin and King Richard the Lionheart of England sign treaty over Jerusalem, at end of the Third Crusade
- 1792 September Massacres of the French Revolution: In Paris rampaging mobs slaughter 3 Roman Catholic bishops, more than two hundred priests, and prisoners believed to be royalist sympathizers.
- 1864 Union General William T Sherman captures and burns Atlanta during Savannah Campaign (US Civil War)
- 1944 Holocaust diarist Anne Frank sent to Auschwitz concentration camp
- 1945 V-J Day, formal surrender of Japan aboard USS Missouri marks the end of WW II (Japanese date, 1st September in US)
The first automatic teller machine in the United States is installed in Rockville Center, New York.
On September 2, 1969
"A Trip To The Moon", the first sci-fi film, released
On September 2, 1902
- 1824 US Navy flag officer David Farragut (23) weds Susan Caroline Marchant
- 1908 Naval officer Robert Scott (40) weds sculptress Kathleen Bruce (30) at the Chapel Royal in London, England
- 1922 "Gone With The Wind" author Margaret Mitchell (21) weds Red Berrien Upshaw
- 1978 George Harrison marries Olivia
- 1978 Singer Gloria Estefan (21) weds musician and producer Emilio Estefan (25) (Miami Sound Machine)