What Happened on September 23
- 1122 Concordat of Worms agreed between Pope Calixtus II and Holy Roman Emperor Henry V
- 1821 Fall of Tripolitsa, Greek forces massacre 30,000 Turks during Greek War of Independence
- 1862 Otto von Bismarck appointed Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Prussia by King Wilhelm I
- 1884 American Herman Hollerith patents his mechanical tabulating machine, the beginning of data processing
- 1957 President Dwight D. Eisenhower orders US troops to support integration of nine black students at Little Rock Central High School in Arkansas
- 2018 Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches "Modicare", free heathcare for 500 million, world's biggest healthcare program
- More Historical Events
Sep 23 in Film & TV
- 1889 Nintendo Koppai (Later Nintendo Company, Limited) founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce and market the playing card game Hanafuda
- 1962 ABC's 1st color TV series - The Jetsons by Hanna-Barbera first broadcast
Sep 23 in Music
- 1957 "That'll Be the Day" single by Buddy Holly and The Crickets reaches #1 in the US
Sep 23 in Sport
- 1845 1st baseball team, NY Knickerbockers organize, adopt rule code
Did You Know?
The first public version of the web browser Mozilla Firefox ("Phoenix 0.1") is released
On September 23, 2002
Would You Believe?
Time capsule, to be opened in 6939, buried at World's Fair in NYC (capsule contained a woman's hat, man's pipe & 1,100' of microfilm)
On September 23, 1938
- 1666 Princess Maria of Orange-Nassau marries Mauritius earl of Simmeren
- 1862 Russian novelist and author of "War and Peace" Leo Tolstoy (34) marries Sophia Andreevna Behrs (18) daughter of a physician
- 1933 American gangster Sam Giancana (25) weds Angeline DeTolve
- 1915 Film producer Samuel Goldwyn (33) divorces first wife Blanche Lasky after 5 years of marriage
- 2011 American actress Lisa Linde (39) divorces American "X-Men" actor James Marsden (38) due to irreconcilable differences after 11 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
'I Have Not Yet Begun To Fight'After refusing to surrender, John Paul Jones, the father of the US Navy, achieved a dramatic against-the-odds victory against the British on this day.
September 23, 1779
Little Rock CrisisThe 101st Airborne Division escort the nine black students into Little Rock School in Arkansas
September 23, 1957
Weekly Quiz for September 23-29Did Napoleon Bonaparte graduate from his military academy 42nd out of 51? What year was Nintendo founded in Japan? And more questions from this week in history.