- 1580 Frances Drake completes circumnavigation of the world, sailing into Plymouth aboard the Golden Hind
- 1687 Acropolis in Athens attacked by Venetian army trying to eject Turks, damaging the Parthenon
- 1687 The city council of Amsterdam votes to support William of Orange's invasion of England, which became the Glorious Revolution.
- 1815 Russia, Prussia and Austria sign the Holy Alliance
- 1901 Great Britain annexes the Ashanti Kingdom and places it under the governor of the Gold Coast (Ghana)
- 1918 Beginning of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, more than 1 million American soldiers in the largest and most costly offensive of WWI
Soviet military officer Stanislav Petrov averts a worldwide nuclear war by judging supposed missile attack from the US an error
On September 26, 1983