What Happened on September 28
- 935 Saint Wenceslas is murdered by his brother, Boleslaus I of Bohemia
- 1066 William the Conqueror, then Duke of Normandy, lands at Pevensey Bay in Sussex, beginning the Norman conquest of England
- 1781 9,000 American and 7,000 French troops begin the siege of Yorktown
- 1887 Yellow River or Huáng Hé floods in China, killing between 900,000 and 2 million people, one of the deadliest natural disasters in history
- 1939 German-Soviet Frontier Treaty is signed by Joachim von Ribbentrop and Vyacheslav Molotov; redraws German and Soviet spheres of influence in central Europe and transfers most of Lithuania to the USSR
- More Historical Events
Sep 28 in Film & TV
- 1945 "Mildred Pierce" starring Joan Crawford opens at Strand Theater, NYC; wins Academy Award for Best Actress
Sep 28 in Music
- 1968 Beatles' "Hey Jude" single goes #1 and stays #1 for 9 weeks
Sep 28 in Sport
- 1938 Homer in the Gloamin' - famous walk-off home run hit by Gabby Hartnett of the Chicago Cubs against the Pittsburgh Pirates
Did You Know?
The first General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM) defines the length of a meter as the distance between two lines on a standard bar of an alloy of platinum with ten percent iridium, measured at the melting point of ice
On September 28, 1889
Would You Believe?
Napoléon Bonaparte, aged 16, graduates from the elite École Militaire in Paris (42nd in a class of 51)
On September 28, 1785
- 1922 American stage and film actor, dancer, and singer James Cagney (23) weds American dancer Frances Vernon in NYC
- 1933 Actress Greer Garson (29) weds first husband Edward Snelson (29)
- 1933 Sally Eilers weds Harry Joe Brown
- 1937 Martha Raye (21) divorces Hamilton "Bud" Westmore (19) on the basis of extreme cruelty
- 2010 Oracle CEO Larry Ellison (66) divorces romance novelist Melanie Craft after six years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Norman Invasion of EnglandWilliam the Conqueror and his army land at Pevensey as depicted in the Bayeux Tapestry
September 28, 1066
1st Car Race in AmericaThe winning vehicle, a Duryea Motor Wagon Company vehicle driven by Frank Duryea
September 28, 1895
And God Created Brigitte Bardot . . .Brigitte Bardot, a leading sex symbol of the 1950s and 1960s, was born on this day. Such was her fame that she became widely known simply by her initials – BB.
September 28, 1934
Weekly Quiz for September 23-29Did Napoleon Bonaparte graduate from his military academy 42nd out of 51? What year was Nintendo founded in Japan? And more questions from this week in history.