- 522 BC Darius I of Persia kills Magian usurper Gaumâta, securing his hold as king of the Persian Empire
- 480 BC Battle of Salamis: The Greek fleet under Themistocles defeats the Persian fleet under Xerxes I
- 1567 War of Religion breaks out in France - Huguenots try to kidnap King Charles IX
- 1829 The first units of the London Metropolitan Police appear on the streets of the British capital, the city's 1st modern police force
- 2008 Dow Jones Industrial Average falls 777.68 points, its largest single-day point loss, following the bankruptcies of Lehman Brothers and Washington Mutual
- More Historical Events
Sep 29 in Film & TV
- 1948 "Hamlet" directed by and starring Laurence Olivier's opens at Park Avenue Cinema (Best Picture 1949)
Sep 29 in Music
- 1984 "Let's Go Crazy" by Prince Rogers Nelson and Revolution peaks at #1
Sep 29 in Sport
- 1954 Willie Mays famous over-the-shoulder catch of Vic Wertz' 460' drive during Game One of the World Series
Did You Know?
American oil tycoon John D. Rockefeller becomes the world's first billionaire
On September 29, 1916
Would You Believe?
Robert McNamara, former US Secretary of Defense, is almost thrown overboard on a ferry by an artist wanting to confront him on his role in escalating US involvement in the Vietnam war (no charges pressed)
On September 29, 1972
- 1818 Inventor Samuel Morse (27) weds Lucretia Walker in Concord, New Hampshire
- 1844 New York Politician Boss Tweed (21) weds Mary Jane C. Skaden
- 1910 Greek physician and zoologist Georgios Papanicolaou (27) weds his future laboratory assistant and pap smear research subject Andromachi Mavrogeni in Athens
- 2011 "House M.D." actress Olivia Wilde (26) divorces Italian prince Tao Ruspoli (35) due to irreconcilable differences after 8 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Major Effect of a Miniature PortraitHe fought many a battle but the warrior Clive of India, born on this day, was brought to his knees by a small picture of a beautiful woman.
September 29, 1725
Italo-Turkish WarItalian airships bomb Turkish positions. The Italo-Turkish War was the first conflict to feature aerial bombardment.
September 29, 1911
Weekly Quiz for September 23-29Did Napoleon Bonaparte graduate from his military academy 42nd out of 51? What year was Nintendo founded in Japan? And more questions from this week in history.