- Jan 1 Jews are expelled from Laibach in Austria
- May 19 George van Saksen-Meissen sells Friesland for 100,000 gold guilders to arch duke Charles
- Jul 22 First Congress of Vienna settles issues between Poland and Holy Roman Empire - rise of the Habsburgs influence
- Aug 25 Conquistador Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar founds Havana in modern day Cuba, on the southern coast of the island. Moved to its current location in 1519.
Sep 13 First day of two-day Battle of Marignano: Francis I's French army defeats Swiss army force near Milan
- Sep 14 Battle at Marignano ends after two days in a French and Venetian victory over a Swiss army
- Nov 15 Thomas Wolsey is invested as an English Cardinal
- Dec 24 Thomas Wolsey appointed Lord Chancellor of England