Jan 5 The Great Frost begins during the night, a sudden cold snap that remains Europe's coldest ever winter. Thousands are killed across the continent and crops fail in France.
- Jan 11 Colley Cibber's play "Rival Fools" premieres in London
- Mar 27 Dike at Hardinxveld breaks (Alblasserwaard flooded)
- Jul 8 Battle of Poltava; Russians defeat Swedes, end of Swedish empire as a major power
- Aug 8 1st known ascent in hot-air balloon, Bartolomeu de Gusmao (indoors)
- Sep 3 1st major group of Swiss German colonists reaches North and South Carolina
- Sep 11 Battle at Malplaquet during War of the Spanish Succession: English, Austrian and Dutch Great Alliance defeat France
- Oct 29 England & Netherlands sign anti-French "Barrieretraktaat"