Historical Events in November 1964

  • Nov 1 Houston Oilers quarterback George Blanda attempts an AFL record 68 passes (37 completions) in 24-10 loss v Buffalo Bills at War Memorial Stadium
  • Nov 1 Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson passes for 435 yards and 6 TDs in 49-39 win over Denver Broncos at Municipal Stadium
  • Nov 1 Vietcong-assault on airport Bien Hoa at Saigon
  • Nov 1 Cleveland running back Jim Brown runs for 149 yards in Browns' 30-17 win at Pittsburgh to become the first NFL player to exceed 10,000 yards career rushing
  • Nov 2 CBS purchases 80% of Yanks for $11,200,000, later buys remaining 20%

Event of interestEvent of Interest

Nov 2 Faisal succeeds Saud as king of Saudi Arabia

  • Nov 2 Columbia Broadcasting System buys 80% share in the New York Yankees Baseball Club for $11.2 million; later purchases club outright

Electoral defeatElection of Interest

Nov 3 Lyndon B. Johnson is elected President of the United States in a landslide, defeating Republican candidate Barry Goldwater

36th US President Lyndon B. Johnson
36th US President
Lyndon B. Johnson
  • Nov 3 Philadelphia voters narrowly approve $25 million to build a new multi-purpose stadium that would become Veterans Stadium
  • Nov 3 For 1st time since 1800, residents of Washington, D.C. permitted to vote
  • Nov 5 US launches Mariner 3 toward Mars; no data returned
  • Nov 6 WEIQ TV channel 42 in Mobile, AL (PBS) begins broadcasting
  • Nov 7 NL keeps Braves in Milwaukee in 1965, may move to Atlanta in 1966
  • Nov 8 IMF grants Great Britain credit of $1 billion
  • Nov 8 KUPK TV channel 13 in Garden City, KS (ABC) begins broadcasting
  • Nov 9 "Comedy in Music-Opus 2" opens at John Golden NYC for 192 performances

  • Nov 9 Eisaku Sato becomes premier of Japan
  • Nov 10 "Something More!" opens at Eugene O'Neill Theater NYC for 15 performances
  • Nov 10 Braves sign a 25-year lease to play in the new Atlanta stadium
  • Nov 11 Murray Schisgal's "Luv" premieres in NYC
  • Nov 12 Jean becomes Grand Duke of Luxembourg
  • Nov 12 Paula Murphy sets female land speed record 226.37 MPH
  • Nov 13 Bob Petit (St Louis Hawks) becomes 1st NBAer to score 20,000 points
  • Nov 13 Pope Paul VI gives tiara to poor
  • Nov 14 "Fade Out-Fade In" closes at Mark Hellinger NYC after 199 performances
  • Nov 14 "Folies Bergere" closes at Broadway Theater NYC after 191 performances
  • Nov 14 "Oliver!" closes at Imperial Theater NYC after 774 performances

Sports record brokenNHL Record

Nov 14 Detroit Red Wings Gordie Howe sets NHL record 627th career goal

Ice Hockey Legend Gordie Howe
Ice Hockey Legend
Gordie Howe
  • Nov 15 Ajax soccer star Johan Cruijff debuts against GVAV
  • Nov 15 KBYU TV channel 11 in Provo, UT (PBS) begins broadcasting

Event of interestEvent of Interest

Nov 15 Mickey Wright shoots a 62, lowest golf score for a woman pro at the Tall City Open, Midland, Texas

LPGA Golfer Mickey Wright
LPGA Golfer
Mickey Wright
  • Nov 15 Sudan Premier Ibrahim Abbud resigns
  • Nov 16 Radio CJCX Sydney Nova Scotia (Canada) starts shortwave transmission
  • Nov 16 USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR
  • Nov 17 British Labour Party installs weapon embargo against South Africa
  • Nov 18 Baltimore Oriole Brooks Robinson wins AL MVP

Event of interestEvent of Interest

Nov 18 J. Edgar Hoover describes Martin Luther King as "most notorious liar"

First Director of the FBI J. Edgar Hoover
First Director of the FBI
J. Edgar Hoover
Civil Rights Activist Martin Luther King Jr.
Civil Rights Activist
Martin Luther King Jr.

Event of interestEvent of Interest

Nov 20 Dmitri Shostakovich's 9th/10th String Quartet premieres in Moscow

  • Nov 21 "Something More!" closes at Eugene O'Neill Theater NYC after 15 performances
  • Nov 21 "Zizi" opens at Broadway Theater NYC for 49 performances
  • Nov 21 Pope Paul VI signs 3rd sitting of 2nd Vatican council
  • Nov 21 Verrazano-Narrows suspension bridge opens in New York City, then the world's longest
  • Nov 22 WITF TV channel 33 in Harrisburg-Hershey, PA (PBS) begins broadcasting
  • Nov 23 "Bajour" opens at Shubert Theater NYC for 232 performances
  • Nov 23 Beatles release "I Feel Fine" & "She's a Woman"
  • Nov 24 30th Heisman Trophy Award: John Huarte, Notre Dame (QB)
  • Nov 24 Cards' 3rd baseman Ken Boyer is voted NL MVP
  • Nov 24 Rebellion ends in Zaire
  • Nov 26 29th Iron Bowl: Alabama beats Auburn 21-14 in Birmingham
  • Nov 28 CFL Grey Cup, CNE Stadium, Toronto: BC Lions defeat Hamilton Tiger-Cats, 34-24; BC's Bill Munsey scores 2 touchdowns in the 3rd quarter, one on offence and another on defence
  • Nov 28 France performs underground nuclear test at Ecker Algeria
  • Nov 28 Mariner 4 launched; 1st probe to fly by Mars
  • Nov 28 1965 NFL Draft: Tucker Frederickson from Auburn University first pick by New York Giants
  • Nov 29 Roman Catholic Church in US replaces Latin with English
  • Nov 30 USSR launches Zond 2 towards Mars; no data returned