- "Do I Hear a Waltz?" opens at 46th St Theater NYC for 220 performances
- A truck loses control down Moosic Street, Scranton, Pennsylvania, killing the driver. This accident later inspired the 1974 Harry Chapin song, "30,000 Pounds of Bananas."
- Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.
- Poppin' Fresh Pillsbury Dough Boy introduced
- Rolling Stones fined £5 each for public urination
- USSR launches Voshkod 2
Day of the Week: Thursday