Jan 23 Inaugural class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees: Chuck Berry; James Brown; Ray Charles; Sam Cooke; Fats Domino; The Everly Brothers; Buddy Holly;. Jerry Lee Lewis; Elvis Presley; Little Richard; Robert Johnson; Jimmie Rodgers; Jimmy Yancey; Alan Freed; John Hammond; and Sam Phillips
- Feb 14 36th Berlin International Film Festival: "Stammheim" wins the Golden Bear
- Feb 27 The United States Senate allows its debates to be televised on a trial basis
- Apr 24 Film "Crocodile Dundee" starring Paul Hogan and Linda Kozlowski premieres in Australia (highest grossing film of the year in the US)
- Apr 27 Cy Coleman and Dorothy Fields' musical "Sweet Charity" starring Gwen Verdon, opens at the Minskoff Theatre, NYC; runs for 368 performances, and wins a Tony Award for choreographer Bob Fosse
- Apr 27 Captain Midnight (John R MacDougall) hacks into and interrupts HBO
Apr 28 Soviet TV news program Vremya announces a nuclear accident at Chernobyl nuclear power station, 2 days after the event
- Jun 11 "Blacke's Magic" last airs on NBC-TV
Jun 15 Amnesty International "Conspiracy of Hope" tour concludes with megaconcert at Giants Stadium in Rutherford, New Jersey; participants include: U2; Sting; Bryan Adams; Peter Gabriel; Lou Reed; Neville Brothers; Joan Baez; Joan Armatrading; Joni Mitchell; The Police; Jackson Browne; Yoko Ono; Miles Davis; Peter, Paul & Mary; and The Hooters
- Aug 28 Largest wrestling crowd in Canada (69,300) at Toronto Stadium
- Aug 30 43rd Venice Film Festival: "Le rayon vert" directed by Eric Rohmer wins Golden Lion
- Sep 2 Cathy Evelyn Smith sentenced to 3 years for death of John Belushi
- Sep 3 Alan Ayckbourn's "Woman in Mind" premieres in London
- Sep 6 300 invitees pay $5,000 to hear Barbra Streisand's benefit concert
- Sep 7 NBC premiere of "The French Connection" film based TV sequel "Popeye Doyle"
- Sep 12 Limited U.S. premiere of film adaptation of Marsha Norman's play "'Night, Mother"
- Sep 13 Kellye Cash (Tenn), 21, crowned 60th Miss America 1987
- Sep 13 11th Toronto International Film Festival: "The Decline of the American Empire" directed by Denys Arcand wins the People's Choice Award
- Sep 14 CBS premiere of true life "The Last Days of Patton"
- Sep 15 1st broadcast of legal drama "L.A. Law" created by Steven Bochco, with ensemble cast including Corbin Bersen, Jill Eikenberry and Harry Hamlin on NBC
- Nov 13 Giselle Jeanne-Marie LaRonde of Trinidad, 23, crowned 36th Miss World
- Nov 27 Europa TV, a project of five European public service broadcasters ceases operations after exhausting its budget
- Dec 27 2nd Soap Opera Digest Awards - Days of Our Lives wins