Events in Film & TV
Events 401 - 500 of 618
- 1993-01-10 Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens, musical "My Favorite Year", adapted from the 1982 film and starring Evan Pappas, Tim Curry, Andrea Martin, and Lainie Kazan, closes at Vivian Beaumont Theater, NYC, after 37 performances
- 1993-03-01 New expansion NHL team, owned in Anaheim, CA by Disney, receives its name, inspired by the 1992 Disney movie 'The Mighty Ducks'
1993-06-11 "Jurassic Park", directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum opens, sets box office weekend record of $502 million
1993-07-12 Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical "Sunset Boulevard", based on Billy Wilder's 1950 film, starring Patti Lupone and Daniel Benzali, opens at the Adelphi Theatre, London
1993-07-25 Romantic comedy film "Sleepless in Seattle" is released starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, directed by Nora Ephron
- 1993-10-13 Captured American Pilot Mike Durant is filmed in an interview in captivity by a CNN camera crew.
1993-12-14 "Philadelphia" one of the first mainstream films about AIDS, directed by Jonathan Demme, starring Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington premieres in Century City, California
- 1994-02-08 "Sátántangó", Hungarian film directed by Béla Tarr, starring Mihály Víg, Putyi Horváth, is released
Film & TV History
1994-04-14 Turner Classic Movies cable channel launches; media mogul Ted Turner hosts ceremony in NYC's Times Square district at 6PM marking "the exact centennial anniversary of the first public movie showing in New York City"
- 1994-05-20 Sony Theaters & Cineplex (NYC) hike movie ticket prices to $8.00
1994-05-27 "The Flintstones" live action movie based in the 1960s cartoon, starring John Goodman (as Fred), Rick Moranis (as Barney), and Rosie O'Donnell (as Betty) premieres
- 1994-06-11 "Meet The Flintstones" by The B-52's (stylized for this release as The B.C. 52's) from the 1994 film The Flintstones peaks at #33
- 1994-10-10 MPAA chief Jack Valenti holds meeting to determine new movie ratings
1994-12-28 "The Madness of King George" film based on the play by Alan Bennett, directed by Nicholas Hytner, starring Nigel Hawthorne and Helen Mirren premieres in the US
- 1995-06-09 Wigstock The Movie (1994) premieres in USA
- 1995-09-28 Superhero film "Batman Forever" released in Czech Republic
1995-11-13 "GoldenEye", 17th James Bond film released, starring Pierce Brosnan for the first time, Robbie Coltrane and Judi Dench as M
- 1995-11-22 "Toy Story", the first feature-length film created completely using computer-generated imagery, directed by John Lasseter and starring Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, is released
1996-02-15 Tamil romantic comedy film "Poove Unakkaga" released directed by Vikraman, starring Sangita and Vijay in his breakthrough role
Film & TV History
1996-02-27 American film production company "Happy Madison Productions" is founded by Adam Sandler
1996-11-18 "Star Trek: First Contact" film directed by Jonathan Frakes and starring Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes premieres
1996-12-20 Horror film classic "Scream", starring Neve Campbell and Courteney Cox, is released
1997-03-21 Film "Selena" is released based on the life of singer Selena Quintanilla-Pérez, starring Jennifer Lopez in her breakthrough role, directed by Gregory Nava
1997-04-15 Disaster film "Volcano" directed by Mick Jackson, and starring Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche premieres in South Korea
1997-05-07 Science fiction film "The Fifth Element" written and directed by Luc Besson, starring Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich is released. Then the most expensive European film ever made.
1997-11-07 "Bean" film directed by Mel Smith and starring Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean opens in the US
- 1997-12-09 "Tomorrow Never Dies", 18th James Bond film starring Pierce Brosnan and Michelle Yeoh, premieres in London
1997-12-15 "Spice World" movie directed by Bob Spiers and starring girl pop group the Spice Girls premieres in the UK
1997-12-23 "As Good as It Gets" film released written and directed by James L. Brooks, starring Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt
- 1997-12-25 For 1st time US movie box office receipts pass $6 billion
- 1998-02-20 US movie box office hits quickest $1 billion for year (51 days)
- 1998-11-10 "Star Trek: Insurrection" film directed by Jonathan Frakes and starring Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes premieres
- 1998-11-17 Tori Amos release a compilation of her videos, "Tori Amos: The Complete Collection: 1992-1998"
- 1998-12-31 US movie box office hits record $6.24 billion for year
1999-03-24 "The Matrix" film written and directed by The Wachowskis, starring Keanu Reeve, Lawrence Fishburne and Carrie-Ann Moss premieres
1999-05-04 "The Mummy" film directed by Stephen Sommers starring Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz and John Hannah premieres in the US
1999-06-18 Hindi film "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam" premieres directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali, starring Salman Khan, Ajay Devgn and Aishwarya Rai
1999-07-09 Coming of age film "American Pie" is released, directed by Paul Weitz, starring Jason Biggs, Eugene Levy, and an ensemble cast
- 1999-09-08 US Attorney General Janet Reno names former Senator John Danforth to head an independent investigation of the 1993 fire at the Branch Davidian church near Waco, Texas in response to revelations in the film "Waco The Rules of Engagement"
- 1999-11-08 "The World is Not Enough" 19th James Bond film premieres in Los Angeles, starring Pierce Brosnan, Robert Carlyle, Robbie Coltrane, and Denise Richards
- 2000-05-14 "Yi Yi" Taiwanese film by Edward Yang debuts at Cannes
- 2000-06-12 "X-Men" 1st film based on comic book series, starring Patrick Stewart, Hugh Jackman, and Ian McKellen premieres on Ellis Island in New York Harbor
- 2000-09-29 "In the Mood for Love", Hong Kong film directed by Wong Kar-wai, starring Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung released
- 2001-01-09 Apple announced iTunes at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, for organizing and playing digital music and videos
2001-04-23 Fatboy Slim releases single "Weapon of Choice", music video directed by Spike Jonze starring Christopher Walken dancing
2001-06-18 "The Fast and the Furious" film directed by Rob Cohen starring Paul Walker, Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez premieres
2001-07-29 "The Princess Diaries", starring Anne Hathaway (in her film debut), featuring Julie Andrews, and directed by Garry Marshall, premieres at El Capitan theater in Hollywood
- 2001-08-03 "The Princess Diaries", starring Anne Hathaway in her film debut, is released nationwide
2001-11-04 "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" 1st film adaptation of the book series by J. K. Rowling starring Daniel Radcliffe, premieres in London (Titled "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in some markets)
2001-11-16 "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", 1st film adaptation of the book series by J. K. Rowling starring Daniel Radcliffe, premieres in US (Titled "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's's Stone" in some markets)
2001-12-10 "The Fellowship of the Ring" Lord of the Rings film directed by Peter Jackson and starring Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen premieres in London
2001-12-19 "The Fellowship of the Ring", 1st Lord of the Rings film is released. Makes US$47 million US opening weekend, $871 million total worldwide.
- 2002-02-15 Walt Disney releases "Return to Never Land", an animated film sequel to 1953's "Peter Pan"
2002-03-12 Animated film "Ice Age" directed by Chris Wedge and Carlos Saldanha, with voices by Denis Leary and John Leguizamo premieres
- 2002-06-21 Disney animated movie "Lilo & Stitch" released, written and directed by Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
2002-10-24 Wuxia film "Hero" directed by Zhang Yimou, starring Jet Li released in China (US release 2004)
2002-11-14 Film "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" is released, based on the 2nd book of the series by J. K. Rowling
- 2002-11-20 "Die Another Day", 20th James Bond film released, directed by Lee Tamahori, starring Pierce Brosnan and Halle Berry: Brosnan's last turn in the role
- 2002-12-05 "The Two Towers" 2nd Lord of the Rings film directed by Peter Jackson and starring Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen premieres in New York
- 2002-12-09 "Star Trek: Nemesis" film directed by Stuart Baird, and starring Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes premieres
- 2002-12-18 "The Two Towers", 2nd of the Lord of the Rings films is released. Makes US$62 opening weekend and $926 million total worldwide.
2002-12-27 "Chicago" (Best Picture 2003), film based on John Kander and Fred Ebb's musical, directed by Rob Marshall, starring Renée Zellweger, Richard Gere, and Catherine Zeta-Jones released.
- 2003-12-01 "The Return of the King", 3rd and final film in the Lord of the Rings series, directed by Peter Jackson and starring Elijah Wood and Ian McKellen premieres in Wellington, New Zealand
- 2003-12-09 "Peter Pan" live action adventure film adaptation of the 1904 play and 1911 by J.M. Barrie premieres in London; flops at the box office
- 2003-12-17 "The Return of the King" 3rd Lord of the Ring films is released. Makes US$72 million opening weekend, 2nd film to gross over 1 billion worldwide.
2004-04-30 "Mean Girls", teen comedy film released starring Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams and written by Tina Fey
- 2004-05-31 "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban", the 3rd film based on the books by J. K. Rowling is released in UK cinemas
- 2004-08-27 Hong Kong martial arts film "Hero" starring Jet Li opens in the US and becomes first Chinese-language film to go to #1 at US box office
- 2005-02-15 YouTube, Internet site on which videos may be shared and viewed by others, is launched in the United States
2005-05-27 DreamWorks releases computer-animated film "Madagascar" with voices by Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, and Jada Pinkett-Smith
2005-07-08 Marvel superhero film "The Fantastic Four" starring Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis premieres
2005-09-11 "Pride & Prejudice", the film adaptation of Jane Austen's novel of the same name, starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet, is released
- 2005-11-06 "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", the 4th film based on the books by J. K. Rowling, premieres in London. Goes on to become most successful film of the year, earning almost US$ 900 million.
2005-12-09 "Brokeback Mountain" film released, directed by Ang Lee, starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal, based on story by Annie Proulx
"High School Musical" Debuts
2006-01-20 "High School Musical" debuts, starring Zac Efron and Vanessa Hugdens; becomes Disney Channel's most successful TV movie
Film & TV History
2006-01-24 Walt Disney International and Bob Iger announce it is buying computer animation film studio Pixar for $7.4 billion
2006-03-01 Animated film "Ice Age: The Meltdown" directed by Carlos Saldanha with voices by Ray Romano and John Leguizamo premieres in Belgium
- 2006-05-27 "Pan's Labyrinth" fantasy film on the Spanish Civil War written and directed by Guillermo del Toro debuts at Cannes
2006-06-22 Film "The Devil Wears Prada" based starring Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt premieres in LA
2006-06-24 "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", directed by Gore Verbinski, starring Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, premieres at Disneyland - becomes fastest film to gross over 1 billion
2006-11-14 "Casino Royale", 21st James Bond film premieres in London, starring Daniel Craig for the 1st time and Eva Green, premieres in London
Film & TV History
2006-12-05 Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy little black dress from film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" auctioned for charity for record £467,200 ($923,187) at Christie's, London
Emma Watson Signs For Final Potter Films
2007-03-23 After some initial hesitation, Emma Watson signs on to appear as Hermione in the final three Harry Potter films
2007-05-19 "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End", directed by Gore Verbinksi, starring Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom premieres in Anaheim - most expensive film ($300 million) made at the time
- 2007-07-11 "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", the 5th film based on the books by J. K. Rowling is released
2007-08-26 The Rolling Stones close their two-year, 147 concert "A Bigger Bang" tour at O2 Arena in London, England; box office gross of tour exceeds $558M, a record at the time
- 2007-10-28 "Bee Movie" premieres in the US and the UK
- 2008-02-19 Toshiba announces its formal recall of its HD DVD video format, ending the format war between it and Sony's Blu-Ray Disc
2008-05-02 First film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe released: "Iron Man" directed by Jon Favreau, starring Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark
- 2008-06-01 A fire at the backlot of Universal Studios Hollywood destroys several icons from movies, such as Courthouse Square, the clock tower from Back to the Future, and the King Kong exhibit on the studio tour.
2008-06-30 "Mamma Mia!, The Movie!" starring Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth, premieres at Leicester Square, London
2008-09-25 Supernatural-fantasy film "Painted Skin" directed by Gordon Chan, starring Donnie Yen, Chen Kun and Zhou Xun is released
- 2008-10-07 Music, podcast, and video streaming service Spotify is launched by Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon
- 2008-10-29 "Quantum of Solace" 22nd James Bond film starring Daniel Craig and Olga Kurylenko, premieres in London
Star Trek Premieres
2009-04-06 "Star Trek" film reboot directed by J.J. Abrams, starring Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto premieres in Austin, Texas
- 2009-07-01 Animated film "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs" directed by Carlos Saldanha and Mike Thurmeieris with voices by Ray Romano and John Leguizamo is released
- 2009-07-15 "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", the 6th film based on the books by J. K. Rowling is released worldwide
2009-12-18 James Cameron's "Avatar" starring Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver, released in the US, becomes highest-grossing film of all time
2010-06-12 "Toy Story 3", directed by Lee Unkrich, starring Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, premieres at the Taormina Film Fest in Italy - 1st animated film to earn 1 billion
2010-09-17 Documentary film "Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?" released theatrically
Birthdays in Film & TV
- Please go to a prior page.
Weddings in Film & TV
- Please go to a prior page.
Divorces in Film & TV
- Please go to a prior page.
Deaths in Film & TV
- Please go to a prior page.