Events in History
Election of Interest
Mar 2 US Electoral Commission declares Rutherford B. Hayes (R) winner of the presidential election with an electoral vote of 185-184 against Samuel J. Tilden (D)
- Mar 3 Rutherford B. Hayes takes the oath of office privately as official inauguration day falls on a Sunday
- Mar 4 Tchaikovski's incomplete ballet "Zwanenmeer" premieres in Moscow
- Mar 5 Rutherford B. Hayes publicly inaugurated as 19th President of the United States
- Mar 12 Great Britain annexes Walvis Bay at Cape colony, Southern Africa.
Earmuffs on, shhhh!
Mar 13 American Chester Greenwood patents earmuffs after inventing them at age 15
Appointment of Interest
Mar 18 US President Rutherford B. Hayes appoints Frederick Douglass marshal of Washington, D.C.
- Mar 19 Australia beat England by 45 runs in very first Test match
- Mar 24 University boat race between Oxford & Cambridge ends in a dead heat
- Mar 31 British High Commissioner Sir Bartle Frere arrives in Capetown
- Mar 31 The family with samurai antecedents who responded to the Saigo army in Ōita Nakatsu rebels.
Birthdays in History
- Mar 4 Daniël George van Beuningen, Dutch coal merchant (Rotterdam) and art collector, born in Utrecht, Netherlands (d. 1955)
- Mar 4 Fritz Graebner, German ethnologist (d. 1934)
- Mar 4 Garrett Morgan, American inventor (gas mask and traffic signal), born in Claysville, Kentucky (d. 1963)
- Mar 9 Emil Abderhalden, Swiss physiologist and biochemist, born in Oberuzwil, Switzerland (d. 1950)
- Mar 12 Wilhelm Frick, German leading Nazi official and war criminal (Minister of the Interior, responsible for concentration camps), born in Alsenz, German Empire (d. 1946)
- Mar 17 Albert Hahn, Dutch political cartoonist (Het Volk), born in Groningen, Netherlands (d. 1918)
- Mar 18 Edgar Cayce, American psychic (d. 1945)
- Mar 25 Walter Little, Canadian politician (d. 1961)
Deaths in History
- Mar 4 Hendrik van Rijgersma, Dutch governor (St Maarten), dies at 42
- Mar 9 Mark Prager Lindo, English Dutch author (Neth Spectator), dies at 58
- Mar 13 Charles Cowden Clarke, English editor and Shakespearean critic, dies at 89
- Mar 24 Walter Bagehot, English journalist and economist (founded National Review), dies at 51
- Mar 25 Elkanah Brackin Greer, Brigadier General (Confederate Army), dies at 51
- Mar 31 Antoine Cournot, French philosopher and mathematician (rule of Cournot), dies at 75