- Concentration Camp at Sachsenhausen liberated
SS chief Heinrich Himmler secretly meets with Count Folke Bernadotte of Sweden, asking him to act as an intermediary for a surrender offer to the Western Allies. The Allies do not take the offer seriously.
- Alan Dukes, Irish Fine Gael politician, born in Drimnagh, Dublin, Ireland
- Donald E. Graham, American businessman (Graham Holdings Company, Facebook), born in Baltimore, Maryland
- Gielijn Escher, Dutch postage stamp artist, born in Oegstgeest, Netherlands
- Robert Key, British Conservative Party politician (MP for Salisbury), born in Plymouth, Devon, England
- Kathe Kollwitz, German graphic artist, dies at 77